“ R. Witter is an authority on Church ornament, and in both metal and needlework there are some beautiful objects for ecclesiastical use. An altar cloth, with raised points and inlaid with mother-of-pearl, is much in demand.”
A Village Industry, Bedfordshire Times June 24th, 1910
We are fortunate at St Katharine’s Church to have fine examples of the embroidery skills of the needle women at The Arts Industry. These stood in prime position next to the altar in the past. The brass altar candlesticks were made by Olney and Newbury Ltd.
St Katherine’s Church is a Grade 1 listed building and dates from the medieval period. The nave dates from the middle of the 12th century and the chancel and west tower are both 13th century. The south porch dates from the middle of the 15th century. The south aisle, south chapel and north vestry were all added during construction and restoration works carried out in 1859. [Report by Albion Archaeology 2007]
See the attached PDF