Redbourn. Beesnest Cottages

Colin Wilson

Beesnest Cottages as seen from North Common. 2017
Colin Wilson
Beesnest Cottage nameplate. 2017
Colin Wilson
Sketch map showing the location of Beesnest Cottages

The earliest reference to Black Nest was 1657. The name changed to Beesnest from about 1839. In 1885 it was endowed as an almshouse by the Grinstead family of The Priory. There is a lovely view across North Common.

Historic England dates the row of five cottage tenements from early to mid 17th century. Its grade II listing dates from 9th August 1984, the reference being 1102904.

Around 2000 it was used as holiday accommodation, but the property was advertised for sale as a freehold property in 2005.

Location

Address:                      6 Lybury Lane, Redbourn, St Albans, Herts AL3 7HR
OS grid reference:    51o 47′ 48″N  0o 24′ 11″W
Georeference:           510232 212099

References

Redbourn’s History by Alan Featherstone p73
pub Redbram Books 2001  ISBN 9541948-0-2
Copy held at Redbourn library.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1102904.
Site accessed May 2018

http://www.cottage-choice.co.uk/cottages-Bees-Nest-Cottage-27564.
Site accessed May 2018

This page was added on 06/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone