Creating a new post
Adding your words and pictures
If you have something to share we’d love to hear from you. There’s no need to register in order to add a post or a comment. Just click on Contribute and follow the simple instructions.
It’s a great way to share your own stories, memories, pictures and research with the rest of the world.
So what could you add?
- an old photo of people or places in Hertfordshire
- a new photo recording some aspect of the county today
- memories of life in Hertfordshire
- information about some aspect of the county
It’s entirely up to you what you add, your memory can be of an event you attended last week or something that happened years ago. If you are unsure, look round this site to see what other people have added. Most people just add one photo or one paragraph of text, while others add whole photo galleries. In order to give a well rounded picture of the county, we also welcome contributions from historians and local history societies.
It’s so easy!
- You can sign in right now, create a rough draft or test page, and log in later to finish it.
- When you’re happy with your page, you press a button to submit your words and photos to our editors for publishing.
- Our volunteer editors usually take a couple of days to add your pages to the website and an e-mail will be sent to you when your article goes live.
- The next time you visit the site log in with your name and password.
Why do I need to register and log-in?
Registering sets up your own personal part of the site. It also helps to stop rude or unacceptable material being added to the site by web browsers.
Contribute via email or post
We also accept submissions by email or post. If you’d prefer to contribute that way, please send your material to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, County Hall, Hertford, SG13 8DN (making sure it is clearly marked to be added Herts Memories).
Audio and video clips
If you have audio or video recordings you would like to add to the website please contact us for more information.
Please also contact us if you would like to be recorded telling your story (you would need to come to HALS at County Hall in Hertford for this).
Terms and conditions
- Text submitted to the site may be sub-edited for the sake of clarity or readability.
- Images submitted to the site may be cropped or digitally enhanced (for example, to improve contrast).
- Herts Memories is under no obligation to publish any text or photos submitted to the site.
- Herts Memories may reject material on the grounds of copyright infringement, offensiveness or other legal considerations. Please ensure you own the copyright or have been given permission by the copyright owner before submitting material.
- Herts Memories cannot accept contributions of a commercial, marketing or advertising nature. We will, however, accept editorial content from commercial organisations (for example, the memories of a shop-owner).
Do you need any help with the material you’re thinking of adding? Do you need help with writing your story, or help with publishing it to the site? Please contact us.