Electric Palace / Palace / Regent
Clayton Bros erected the Electric Palace with 600 seats in 77 High Street. The first show was, Mystery of the Great Diamond. Captain V A Haskett-Smith took over the Palace in the mid-1920s and sold it to the Shipman and King circuit in 1931.
The Regent, as it was now known seated 700 and offered a car park for 100 cars. In the mid-1930 S & K were anxious to enlarge to meet the growing demand, but they were thwarted in attempts to acquire enough adjacent land. This led them to build the Embassy across the road. The Regent finally closed in 1973 to become a bingo hall. The premises is now completely transformed and is the health and beauty club Eternal Youth