Eastwick. Gilston Estate
Historic England’s citation is that this was a block of five almshouses designed to look like a medieval hall house. They are now three dwellings.
They were erected in the later part of the 19th century, probably in about 1890, for the nearby Gilston Estate. Presumably they were for retired workers but this has not been verified.
The buildings were listed by Historic England in 1984.
Although erected in Victorian times, they are not mentioned in Vyse’s book on Victorian almshouses.
Georef: 543478 211787
Grid ref: 51 47′ 11″N 0 04′ 44″E
An Historical Atlas of Hertfordshire ed David Short
Hertfordshire Publications 2011
Historic England ref 1348042