Eastwick. Unknown donor
Once a market town, Eastwick is now but a small place to the west of Harlow and is now bypassed by the A414 main road. Harlow too was a small place, now known as Old Harlow. it was not till 1947 that the new town development was established.
The Parliamentary returns for 1786 state that an unknown donor gave a house in which two poor families could live rent free. A note in a Ware College group publication adds that the families received parish relief, one regularly and the other occasionally.
The location, when it was given or when its use ceased are have not been ascertained.
The relevant Ordnance Survey map for Eastwick is Hertfordshire XXX.15 (Eastwick, Gilston, Hunsdon) rev 1896 pub 1898.
The Victoria County History of the County of Hertford ed. William Page
Vol 3 page 319
(part of Victoria County History of the Counties of England Ed H Arthur Doubleday)
Issued Archibald Constable & Co 1912. Reprint by Dawsons of Pall Mall 1971 (ISBN 0 7129 0477 8)
This publication been digitised by British History Online (BHO) and is available online at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/herts/vol3/pp317-319
Untitled and undated booklet by Ware College group p28.
This publication was available from Miss M Atkins or Mrs M A Warner, of Hunsdon.