Ashwell United Reformed church
By Di Cole
Burnt down in the great fire of Ashwell
The church stands on the corner of the high street and kingsland terrace. The original Church (or chapel as it is known to some ) stood on the same sight but was burnt down in the great fire of Ashwell in the early 1800’s, and by public subscription eighteen months later. At that time it was a Congregational Chapel but became URC in the 1980’s.
The inside of the church has lovely art nouveau freezes and furniture, this theme is also carried along in the stained glass windows and pulpit .
The hall adjacent to the church is well used by village organisations and for parties and celebrations. This hall known as the “sunday school ” has been refurbished in 2009 and there was a dedication service and blessing on October 11th by the URC Moderator.