Christ Church, Waltham Cross (Formerly Holy Trinity)
Until the 19th century, Waltham Cross simply constituted the southern part of the parish of Cheshunt, served by St Mary’s Church in Churchgate. Over time, however, the parish as a whole grew and the part around the historic Eleanor Cross came to be regarded as a distinct centre.
In 1832, a new chapel of ease was built to serve Waltham Cross. The architect was Edward Blore, best known for completing Nash’s building of Buckingham Palace, and it was given the name Holy Trinity Church. In 1855, a new Parish of Waltham Cross was formed, and Holy Trinity became its parish church.
The church’s Grade 2 listing describes it as:
Christ Church formerly Holy Trinity now shared by Methodist Church and Church of England. 1831-2 by E Blore. E parts remodelled 1914 by Ayres, porch added 1934. Yellow stock brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Plain version of Perpendicular. Symmetrical W front is 3 bays with taller gabled centre and 2 octagonal turrets with stone finials. 3-light arched window and early C20 belfry. Single-light, transomed side lancets. Stepped clasp buttresses. Stone capped plinth. Side elevations with crenellated parapets and 2-light windows divided by transoms. Continuous hood mould and sill course. Interior has undivided nave with open trussed roof. E end in plaster with stone dressings. 2 moulded chancel arches without imposts. Narrow aisles with vaulted arches at right angles. Traceried stone front on S side of nave and traceried wooden octagonal pulpit on N side. (Pevsner (1977) ).
The iron railings outside the church also have a separate Grade 2 listing. They are described as:
Probably 1831-2 by E Blore. Cast iron railings to bridge and E side of Theobalds Brook in front of church. Bridge railings have leaf ornament finials. Tall octagonal posts each end with traceried panels and ogee crocketed finials. Square posts to sides with tracery and crenellation. E side boundary rails with 2 horizontal bars and square posts at intervals with crocketed pinnacles. Included for group value.
In 1975, local Methodists, who till then had worshipped in a church in Crossbrook Street, were invited to share the building with the Church of England congregation at Holy Trinity. It was renamed Christ Church and has kept this name ever since.
Christ Church still thrives, with the Anglican community there describing itself as:
an inclusive, liberal Church of England church, in the catholic tradition. We recognise the ministry of both men and women as deacons, priests and bishops.
Like most churches, it offers facilities to appropriate community groups, such as the Mothers’ Union and a Bereavement Support Group, and it maintains close links with the Holy Trinity Church of England School.