Court Leet of the Manor of Cheshunt
12 June 1821
By Sue Flood
This volume contains records of the Court Leet for the Manor of Cheshunt from 1 June 1819 to June 1867. The Lord of the Manor in 1819 was Sir George Beaston Prescot, bart. The court met either at the Coach and Horses in Crossbrook Street, Cheshunt or at The Four Swans Public House in the High Street, Waltham Cross. Throughout this period the court was responsible for appointing the local constable, the headborough, aleconners, marsh wardens and pindar (responsible for impounding stray beasts). Payments were made to the marsh wardens for permission to allow horses and cattle to graze on the marsh.