Bayford Place, detail from Bayfordbury estate map, 1807
By Llinos Thomas
Before 1544, Bayford Place was a royal possession. In the 17th century it was of considerable size, with 20 hearths, but by the time Sir William Baker bought the estate in 1757 it was little more than a farmhouse.
This map, made when his son William enlarged Bayfordbury, shows some interesting landscape features.