Cheshunt. George Henningham
According to Dave Field, George Henningham built the first almshouse in 1536. He lived at The Black House in High Street Tottenham, opposite White Hart Lane.
However, a Haringey website specifies that he died in 1536 and established almshouses at Tower Gardens, Tottenham.
Victoria County History of Middlesex mentions that Phesaunt’s, later also called the Pound, almshouses originally comprised three tenements on the east side of the [Tottenham] churchyard. They were founded for three poor widows by George Henningham (d. 1536). The houses were demolished by the vestry c1744 and rebuilt on the east side of High Road, They were considered cramped and inconvenient in 1893. The sale of Phesaunt’s alms-houses was sanctioned in 1925. VCH does not mention any other almshouses built by Henningham.
In the absence of further evidence to the contrary, it would seem that Henningham built almshouses in Tottenham, but not in Cheshunt.
Cheshunt: its People Past and Present by Dave Field, page 75
pub Gaillet Press 2000 ISBN 0 9522408 2 3
A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, Eileen P Scarff and G C Tyack, ‘Tottenham: Charities for the Poor’,
in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham, ed. T F T Baker and R B Pugh (London, 1976), pp. 376-380.
British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol5/pp376-380 [accessed 26 July 2018].