Cottered. Page or Paddocks Wells
Like the Town House at Cottered, Page’s building was rebuilt on a new site, this time in 1691. The site of the first building is not known, but the later one was on the main road at the western edge of the village close to a rather tight bend in the road. The building is now known as Paddocks Wells.
A number of documents held at HALS may provide further information, but it was not possible to inspect them at the time of writing due to the Covid restrictions. The references are listed below.
The building was listed grade II by Historic England in 1984, ref 1348013. The NHLE entry says it was formerly called Nottinghams, which is backed up by the OS maps. However NHLE has a separate listing for Nottinghams on a site just round the corner. In addition there is a photograph held at HALS which shows Paddock Wells, The Kennels and Nottinghams.
This building is not mentioned by Victoria County History even though it mentions the Town Houses. Cussans does not mention any almshouses in Cottered.
The building is now in private ownership.
Readers are also referred to the Cottered Town Houses article.
OS 25” map Hertfordshire XIII.3 (Aspenden; Broadfield; Cottered; Throcking)
Revised: 1896, Published: 1898
Georef: 531573 229269
Gridref: 51 56′ 47″N 0 05′ 14″W
Documents held at HALS
Drawing of plan Nottinghams, Cottered
nd [late 19th century]
Photograph: view of Paddock Wells, the Kennels and Nottinghams
nd [1950 – 1970]
DE/X1025/2/28/12 and DE/X1025/2/28/15
Photograph: thatched house
nd [mid 20th century]
DP/32/25/3; surrogate: mf 332
Town Lands charity accounts
1797 – 1922
DP/32/25/7; surrogate: mf 332
Terrier of Town Lands, 1603
Copy of Cottered Enclosure Act, 1806; copy of Robert Page’s will
nd 1603 – 1806
General correspondence concerning Cottered charities (Robert Page bequest), water supply and sewerage, air raid precautions, allotments and war time matters, council housing and Parish Council elections
1937 – 1943
Photograph: view of the Paddock Wells, the Kennels
nd [mid 20th century]
DP/32/25/6; surrogate: mf 332
Page’s charity copy deed, 1781, correspondence, 1919; lists of charities, 1919, nd
1781 – 1919
DP/32/25/4; surrogate: mf 332
Leases of Town Lands, 1509-1689, and other papers
Including list of quitrents due to the Manor of Cottered for Town Lands and houses, nd 17th century; letters relating to Page’s charity, 1862; various leases, 1848, 1852; bond, 1717; apprenticeship indenture, 1704; agreement regarding repair of an arch and a highway, Pulter Forester and the surveyors of Cottered and Clothall, 1734; bill for enclosure expenses payable by feoffees of Town Lands, 1810
1509 – 1862
DP/32/25/1; surrogate: mf 331
Town Lands charity accounts.
A volume which has been rolled up and tied. The income from this charity, which was given by Robert Page, appears to have been used for general parish expenditure and the accounts contain items more usually found in churchwardens’ or overseers’ accounts
1632 – 1696
Websites (accessed Feb 2021)
Ref 235897-1, linked with Cottered Ecclesiastical Charities.