Thomas Saunders of Beechwood was responsible for the construction in 1669 of Flamstead’s almshouses. The four dwellings were originally provided for two elderly widows and two elderly widowers of the village. They stand very little changed externally and are still maintained by the Saunders Trust. The terrace’s construction is of narrow red brickwork in an unusually early use of Flemish Bond construction, moulded brick gable parapets at each end, with square piers topped by distinctive ball finials.
Text for this article comes from A New History of Flamstead  by Eric Edwards.