The first images below show High Street from the Chapel Road end, with the almshouses and the Three Blackbirds in the foreground, along with the village pump. The almshouses were built in 1669 for Thomas Saunders; the Three Blackbirds dates in part from 16th century. A recent view from here is shown for comparison.
The views up High Street from Church Road take in houses, the Spotted Dog and the post office. Houses in High Street date from 16th century onwards, including those on the left which were once known as Squeakers Garrets. The post office at the turn of 20th century was in a building that had once been the workhouse. Next to it was the Sebright Room, where various village meetings were held. Today’s post office and shop are in what was the Sebright Room and can be seen in the colour image below. There was also a butcher’s shop, across the space next to the Spotted Dog; this pub dates in part from 17th century.