The Priory was demolished in the early 1900s and its history is the subject of much speculation. The Reverend Bullard (Flamstead’s vicar from 1898 to 1910) was of the opinion that it had been the home of a chantry priest in the 16th century. A second theory is that it was a Benedictine Priory, perhaps part of the Manor of Markyate, further suggesting that it was attached to the Markyate Cell and just possibly where Christina of Markyate first took refuge in 1115. However all this speculation is unproven.
From 19th century maps, it appears that the Priory was a house, set within an orchard, and was already old by that time.