The Hitchin train station first opened in August 1850 and is 1 mile from the town centre. The train line underwent many changes and was popular for intercity journeys until the Stevenage train station opened in 1973.
The station we see today is largely a rebuild by Great Northern in 1911 and is listed as a Building of Local Interest.
The train station enhanced the transport hub of Hitchin, previously established as a staging post for coaches coming from London, securing the town’s reputation as a landmark for trading.
The fact that the station is midway between London and Cambridge on the train line provided additional opportunities and interest in Hitchin.
The Cabbies Hut from 1910, now in Market Place, was originally located at the station until 1976. The hut was originally given to Hitchin by John and Patsy Myatt and connected with Hitchin Taxi firm Boxall. The move, and restoration, were arranged by Hitchin Historical Society.
In 2007 the station gained inclusion in the Secure Stations Scheme. This scheme was started in 1998 in collaboration with the British Transport Police and Department for Transport, looking into; the design and management of the station, management of crime levels and passenger perception of security. First Capital Connect worked to add more CCTV, and lighting and install the automatic ticket gates. They also refurbished the subway between the two stations for £300k. In August 2021, community and environmental charity Groundwork East, used photographs from the North Herts Museum to decorate the subway with two 15 meter long murals telling Hitchin’s history from the mid-19th century to the present.