The Bull Inn

By Paula Lachanudis

The Bull

The Bull Inn

The first known licensee was William Thorne in 1618. It was owned throughout the 18th century by the Monson family of Broxbournebury, and in the 19th century leased to Christie and Cathrow, the Hoddesdon brewers. It was demolished in 1972, following the building by McMullens’ of a new pub on the site of the site of the old stables and garden.

This page was added on 27/10/2010.

Comments about this page

  • Adam Hamilton (1716? – 1796) – who was also Master of the Rose and Crown in Enfield Highway – reportedly kept the Bull Inn at Hoddesdon for some period in the latter half of the 1700s (per Daily Advertiser, 28 March 1750, and 11 September 1751; Bibliotheca Topographica Britannica No. 39 (1786) 128 n.2; Gentleman’s Magazine, April 1796, 357. Adam’s wife, Sarah Clarke (1722-66), was from a family based in Broxbourne.

    By Liz Welsh (Mrs. Peter Hamilton Welsh: 5th-great-grandson) (29/06/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *