Kings Langley. Pound Cottage
The Historic England list refers to this building as the pound keeper’s cottage, at one time a ‘charity cottage’ for the poor of the parish. That is the sole reference found so far. It is not mentioned in the standard historical works such as Victoria County History or Cussans.
The original part, built about 1600, is the section with the two dormer windows. A photo dating from around 1900 showing the cottage and the village pound can be found in Hastie’s book, page 12. The building was grade 2 listed as of December 1986, with a list reference 1296120.
The dates when it was used as an almshouse are not known.
Address: Common Lane, Kings Langley WD4 8DP
Georef: 507051 202947
Grid ref: 51o 42′ 55″N 0o 27′ 07″W
Kings Langley. A Hertfordshire Village by Scott Hastie.
Pub the Kings Langley Local History and Museum Society 1991.
ISBN 0 9507647 1X. A copy is held at HALS
The Historic England list for England can be accessed at https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1296120