These photographs show Mardleybury Farmhouse, built in Woolmer Green during the early Twentieth Century, around 1914.
Commissioned by Lord Lytton of the Knebworth Estate it was constructed by the Sir Edwin Lutyens school of architecture. Following the marriage of one of Lord Lytton’s sisters to the architect, Lutyens was given many of the commissions for the estate, most notably Knebworth Church.
During the early part of the century the house was occupied by a Mr Walter Wallace, who owned a herd of Hereford cattle that were once housed in the large barns on the other side of the road, directly opposite the old farmhouse.
Other memories of Mardleybury Farm:
Mr Sapsed the farmer is remembered by one older Woolmer Green resident as a man who:
‘did a lot for the village and let the school children sit in his cart and go and see the cows being milked.’