Little Hadham. Parish

Colin Wilson

The derelict almshouse, with Minet's note about the photographer
Included in Minet's book. Courtesy of Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies. Ref DE/X10/Z1
The derelict almshouse
Included in Minet's book. Courtesy of Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies. Ref DE/X10/Z1
The derelict almshouse
Included in Minet's book. Courtesy of Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies. Ref DE/X10/Z1

As yet only one reference has surfaced about this almshouse. It can be found in a book by William Minet, the owner of Hadham Hall from 1900 until 1933. The relevant text is on page 36, with 3 photographs on the facing page.

Three thatched cottages were owned by the churchwardens and overseers of the poor of Little Hadham. Purchased by one Samuel Betts in 1886, they were subsequently pulled down. Photographs of the cottages in a derelict condition were taken by a local resident, Mr D Elleach. They were then copied by Minet and included in his book.

Other thatched cottages nearby were also demolished or rebuilt soon after. Properties nearby are Parsons Croft and The Causeways. As yet they have not been located on the OS maps of the late 19th century. However, there is a causeway marked on the maps, such as the OS 25″ map, leading west from Hadham Hall to St Cecilia’s church. See the approximate area at georef 545008 22281. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=51.8852&lon=0.1041&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Reference

DE/X10/Z1 Minet’s book about Hadham Hall comprises of pamphlets written and published by William Minet concerning the Hadham Hall estate and its owners. They are bound together with additional photographs and drawings. It is dated 1914 – 1930. It is held at HALS.

This page was added on 14/04/2019.

Comments about this page

  • These photos were taken by Daniel Ellcock of The Ford, Little Hadham. Daniel lived with his brother at May Cottage, the brother using May Barn to make coffins. Daniel used a small room in our barn at Brook House to keep his equipment and, we believe, development his photographs of Little Hadham and surrounding area. He sold these as postcards, of which I have a small collection. Sadly the equipment was buried in the garden when a septic tank was put in some time in the 1950s or 60’s , we know roughly where but cannot excavate.

    By Angela Fardell (22/05/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *