Stevenage High Street in Edwardian Times
and the early twentieth century.
By V Richards
An Edwardian view looking south from the Greeen and the Bowling Green (at the north end of the High Street)
High Street around 1907, looking south.
This shows a scene looking south. The pub on the right (in the foreground) is the White Lion. The postcard from which this was copied was posted in 1914
Also looking south, the large building on the right with the white frontage is now Waitrose.
A view looking south around 1911. The shop in the foreground on the right is currently Waitrose. The shop beyond it is Silk, an ironmonger, that was later Lines.
Another view looking south, this time around 1913.
A view of the High Street looking south in 1909. The shop on the left hand side is Choulers, a clothing and drapery store, which was on the corner of Albert Street.
The south end of the High Street, looking south. Trinity Church and the Wesleyan Chapel are hidden behind the trees on the left hand side, and on the right is a pond that no longer exists.
A view looking north in 1906. This shows the Bowling Green, which is at the north end of the High Street.
It's difficult to make out any of the shops in this picture, apart from J.F. Steers in the foreground on the right. Steers was on the corner of the High Street and Church Lane, so this photograph shows a view looking north. This image is from around 1910.
A view looking north. The entrance to Middle Row is on the right in the distance.
A later picture showing a similar view looking north. Shepherd the butchers can clearly be seen at the entrance to Middle Row
Looking north. The White Lion is in the foreground on the left hand side.
A later version of a similar view, looking north with the White Lion on the left of the picture
Another view looking north - this time probably the 1920s. The buildings in the foreground on the right are the last few properties of Middle Row.
Another slightly later photograph, looking north, showing the Wesleyan Chapel (foreground) and Holy Trinity church, both at the south end of the High Street. The building between them is the Coach and Horses public house. This picture also shows the old road layout, before the current one-way system.
Here are a few pictures of the High Street in Edwardian times and the early to mid 20th century.
These images are copied from original postcards of the time.
This page was added on 23/11/2014.