The Victoria Maltings in Ware
Destroyed by fire
By S Williams
On the evening of Friday 16th September 1988, a raging fire burnt down Ware’s magnificent Victoria maltings in Amwell End.
I remember hearing fire engines and seeing the sky lit up from where we lived. I rushed down to the town with my sister and stood in the car park of the Saracen’s Head opposite and watched.
According to The Herts Mercury, over 100 firefighters attended – the glow of the fire could be seen for miles around. People in nearby homes were evacuated but luckily no-one was seriously injured. Police said their main problem was with crowd control as hundreds of people gathered to watch the blaze…
The malting was built in 1907 – the previous one on the site was built in 1897 and burned down in 1906.