The Watford and District Peace Memorial Hospital was extended in 1937, when a new three story block with six wards and a Nurses’ Home, Knutsford House, were added. The new build included an operating theatre, the nurses home, new main kitchen and central boiler house.
In the 1930s The Elms house was demolished to make way for the Watford Colosseum which was built in 1938 as the Watford Town Hall Assembly Rooms. The Colosseum has featured significantly for both the Hospital and Hospice hosting Royal Galas, Charity Concerts and Annual Events.
This post is part of information gathered during Peace Hospice Care’s oral histories project 2014-16. The project captured 25 years of Peace Hospice Care and explored the legacy of the Peace Memorial Hospital. It was funded by the Heritage Lottery Foundation.
Find out more about Peace Hospice Care by visiting www.peacehospicecare.org.uk or the online project archive http://ourview.peacehospicecare.org.uk/ Oral histories from the project will be deposited with Hertfordshire Archive and Local Studies by end 2016.