WATTON at STONE
By Terry Askew
(With acknowledgement and thanks to Watton at Stone Parish council)
1895: First meeting of Parish Council on 4th January. Name formalised by ‘The Parish of Watton at Stone (naming) Order 1895’
1914: Village Hall built – renamed War Memorial Hall after the 1939-45 war.
1923: Gales uproot elm trees along Church Walk.
1924: Watton Railway Station opened.
1933: Childrens’ playing field opened behind Police Cottages (now Lammas Road).
1935: Parish Council took over responsibility for the War Memorial.
1939: Watton Station closed.
1945: German rocket damaged houses on 13th January.
1945: New houses built at Beane Road.
1948: New houses built at Glebe Close and Rectory lane.
1950: Ministry of Education takeover of the Thompson and Crossland Foundation Trust.
1952: Bus shelter erected.
1955: Childrens’ play area moved to the Meadow.
1955/6: Hockerill houses built.
1960: Lammas Road and part of the High Street built.
1961: Parish Council purchased Rectory Meadow with donations from Horticultural Society and HCC.
1963: Glebe Court opened.
1964: First phase of Great Innings built.
1965: Oil depot opened near Watton Station. Westminster bank closed and demolished.
1966: New school completed. Rivershill built. Work on pavilion completed.
1967: Watton Mill burnt down.Play school opened.
1968: Planning application for housing development on the allotments – refused permission. Flooding along River Beane.
1969: Garages built between rectory Lane and Glebe Cclose. Watton at Stone Sports & Social Club formed.
1970; Hazeldell built. New Rectory built.
1977: Work started on extension to great innings. Queen’s Silver Jubilee celebrations.
1978: Watton at Stone telephone numbers changed to 5 digits.
1980: Pelican crossing installed in the High Street.
1982: Train services from Watton at Stone re-started. War Memorial moved from centre of road junction to verge.
1984: House built on old school site – Old School Orchard. Multi purpose play area built. Village bypass opened 10th December.
1986: Motts Close built.
1987: The Beanside built on site of the old Beaneside garage. Hurricane caused minor damage. Community Association Silver Jubilee 5th July.
1988: Holden du Clos fish factory closed. 50th Horticultural Society annual show.
1989: High Street telephone box made listed building.
1990. Bull public house damaged by fire.Doctors’ Surgery moved from Great innings to Watton Place.
1991: Parish Council took out lease on Cottage site, Watton Green. Centenary of Methodist Church.
1993: War memorial renovated and moved to present site in Church Meadow. Aylotts Court built. White House Close built. Oil storage depot closed. Bull public house re-opened following restoration.
1994: Parish Council centenary. A ‘Peep into the Past’ video produced. Newman’s Court housing development on former Holden du Cros site.
1995: Moorymead Close built on site of oil depot.
1996: Community Hall built.
1998: Old bakery in the High Street enlarged to create 3 flats and an enlarged shopping area.
1999: Final phase of Great Innings development started Millenium Tapestry unveiled.
2000: Time capsule buried in church.
2001: Long Meadow built on site of Watton Service Station. Memorial and Meditation Garden created at Methodist Church.
2006: Playschool moved to Watton School site.
2007: Old Play School hut demolished.
2008: Beane Valley Childrens’ Centre opened in Watton School.
2010: Waggon & Horses public house closed.
2012: Gatekeper Meadow housing development started. Waggon & Horses converted to private dwelling. Jubilee Wood planted.