Welwyn Department Stores
Department stores. Today we all know and love them, and if asked to name our nearest, we could do so in the blink of an eye. However, in the late 1920s/ 1930s this task would not have been so easy for the everyday shopper, and the idea of a department store would have been extremely new and foreign to the residents of Welwyn Garden City.
Located on Bridge Road, Welwyn Garden City, John Lewis is now a local ‘Landmark’ and favourite and is singly the largest store in the Town Centre. It was not however, always John Lewis. Completed in 1939 on the outbreak of war, Welwyn Department stores were built by the Garden City Company to dazzle and excite everyday shoppers whose experiences would have been unlike the exciting newness offered by the new Welwyn Department stores. The store was the largest in the county at the time of its build and had its very own car park and apartment lots situation on its roof, making it even thrilling and modern in its design.
“Just popping to the stores” became a familiar phrase of the residents of Welwyn Garden City, as it was the place to go for quite literally, anything you desired and became the local ‘place to be seen’. However, this one shop idea became resented by many local business who feared it would drive their customers away. The store was not merely a place for shopping but also a social centre where people could meet, have refreshments and even use as a venue for local dances. The store contained a sports club, a laundrette, food hall and the list goes on, so its no surprise that the store was thriving right up until 1983, when it was announced that the John Lewis Partnership would be acquiring the store.
Unlike many famous department stores, the building remains very much untouched architecturally and still contains many original features. Pictures of the original 1920’s store and the modern 1939 build can be found at Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies. The sight of the original 1920’s store now lies where the current Rosanne House Office building stands and the 1939 building still stands proudly as a mark of Welwyn Garden City history.