19th Century Sandridge
By Daniel Hill
In the nineteenth century, the population that the first census indicated was 581 in Sandridge. Also within this century, there was the foundation of the School (1824), workhouse, the restoration of the Church and the formation of the civil parish council. Sandridge was thriving agriculturally during the Napoleonic wars, due to need of supplies and food to the frontline and to the people in their homes, with trade supplies being very limited. However, the Industrial revolution, which occurred in this era, had very little impact on the parish of Sandridge. However, post-Napoleonic wars, there was a downturn in the quality of life and, as a result, during this period the area became very poor.
Source: HALS Library, “Historic Sandridge Revisited” By Edward Giles and Richard William Thrale, Edited by Janet R Rose