The legend of Piers Shonks and the Dragon of Brent Pelham
Piers Shonks was the Lord of Brent Pelham, a small village in East Hertfordshire, not far from Buntingford. Legend has it that a dragon lived in a cave between the roots of an old yew tree and spent his days terrorising the villagers. Piers vowed to kill the dragon and set out armed with his spear, servant and hunting dogs. After a long battle, he eventually killed the dragon with his spear. Although the dragon was slain, more trouble awaited Piers, in life and in death. Read more about Piers Shonks.
NB: This activity is suitable for children aged 7+ but will require an adult for supervision.
You will need a piece of thin white card, scissors, 5 split pins (or glue), colouring pens/pencils.
- Right click on the Dragon Body Parts sheet below. Choose Print Picture from the drop down menu.
- Chose a head and tail for your dragon. There’s a choice of three of each on the sheet.
- Cut round the body parts.
- Colour them in.
- Use split pins or glue to join the parts together.
- Share pictures of your dragon with us on Twitter @HertsArchives with the hashtag #BrentPelhamDragon.
We look forward to seeing your creations!
All images copyright Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies ©