Hitchin. Charles Collison
Charles Collison died at St Bees, in Cumbria, in 1951, and left funds to the vicars of St Mary’s Hitchin and St Ippolyts so that homes of rest for deserving residents could be built and maintained. His family had long-term link to Hitchin and St Ippolyts.
At Hitchin, there were discussions with Tilehouse Street Baptist Church about acquiring land adjoining their burial ground so that 2 almshouses could be built. Eventually 6 almshouses were built at 72 – 77 Periwinkle Lane in about 1954. The plans were drawn up by Paul Mauger & Partners, of Welwyn Garden City (who also designed the Coralie Glyn almshouses in Welwyn Garden City). It is noteworthy that the buildings at St Ippolyts and Hitchin look so different. They had a living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom & WC, store and sun porch.
A number of residents’ names are included in the documents stored at HALS. Tenancy agreements also exist, being the same for the Hitchin and St Ippolyts almshouses. Garden allotments at the rear of Periwinkle Lane were available for rent for 2/6 a year plus rates, on a six monthly basis.
The charity is affiliated to the Almshouse Association and registered with the Charity Commission ref 209758.
Readers are also referred to the article St Ippolyts. Collison House.
72 – 77 Periwinkle Lane, Hitchin
Georef: 518807 230174
Grid ref: 51o 57′ 27″N 0o 16′ 21″W
Documents held at HALS
DE/Ha/B1999/1 Messrs Hoare Trustees. Executors’ accounts 16th March 1951 – 1st January 1953
DE/Ha/B2000 are day-to-day accounts of the Collison charity
DE/Ha/B2003 Architects’ plans for Periwinkle Lane
DE/Ha/B2004. Tenancy Agreements. Tenants’ names included.
DE/Ha/B2005 Various letters about repairs and decoration.
Websites accessed Jul 2022